Friday, August 21, 2015

Skype, but better. Better than the best.

Hey Gerdhar, would you put a little thing together for me. It's kind of a system test, very simple. It lives in my web hosting, or wherever else it needs to be, and it has its own email address, and when I send it an email with an image attachment, it adds that image to my image folders. And then they appear on my web page. Oh, who am I kidding? Anyway, I just simplified the rendering algorithm. Yea, but it's still at least a bit complicated. No, but it's not that bad. It stores

Oh, there is this: I mean, first, someone will visit the page, and our script will set up a screen for them with, oh, say, twenty images on it, all in a lines. The thing is, that'll display pretty much instantly because our script won't send a big image in that view, it'll send a little one. Then the script starts loading additional small images all around the ones we're looking at, and also some bigger images around the ones we're looking at, on I would say several layers, so zooming in means moving to a more magnified layer. Right at this moment I'm seeing something really great about the physics of this. Anyway, images load into a space around the screen, and we can scroll them by moving that space from side to side. I've done this, and it does work. All of this would properly be done client side, with a script that decides, possibly discussing it with the server, what image it needs next and how to position it in the scroll frames, and also what images to release from cache.

Note, to try to address some very simple details, I mean, trying to keep it simple, but to also address details a little, and also, simplifying the details to help with that, that dates and times are a very important part of this program's purpose, even though at this point they're hidden. We do need to extract them from image data. One wonders how reliable that is, though, so the time and date of the post should also be retained. Then a simple way to make that data visible would be a scrolling time and date readout that tells you when the last photo visible was taken, and maybe also the time and date of the first one.

That's all I would need to create a pretty dramatic slide show. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable, though, not being able to