Tuesday, August 4, 2015

55

What unifies normal and magical means is they both are employed in the pursuit of ends. We would like the house swept. We seek prosperity. We want our enemies destroyed, or stymied, or transformed into friends, that sort of thing.

I was out, today, among the normal people. They were tending the stores, looking after the customers, earning their money. I watched them with admiration, and collected various benefits, to myself, from their activity.

In part, I can collect these benefits because I am employed myself, if in something of an odd capacity. I cannot find it in myself - a very important phrase, that - to ask for employment at a store, or driving a truck, or anything like that. However, I am in some regards good at cooking and cleaning, and certain related kinds of work, and I can find it in myself to do some of those things, and this is useful to a certain person who does have the wherewithal to "work," as it is said, "for money", and, in this way, I am "supported".