Friday, July 31, 2015

40

A couple of hummers playing around in the garden.

I ought to take a picture, but it's a bit of a chore.

I feel poor. Is it good to admit, or to record, something like that? As an assertion, it's the opposite of an affirmation of power. If we're being affirmative, does that mean we should studiously ignore feelings of the sort? That actually feels like a dangerous idea. Perhaps the answer is to reflect on them. Just because we're paying attention to them doesn't necessarily mean they rule us.

Concern for others is a foolish thing, and yet, I would argue it is inescapable, and even necessary. That doesn't mean it is, in and of itself, a virtue. It can be a virtue, or a vice, I suspect. (It has more of the appearance of being a vice, but I suspect that's illusory - a function of my perspective - because it doesn't actually make sense.) What about my own concerns? At any rate, what might come from exploring these feelings?