Wednesday, July 29, 2015

27

I propose, I posit, one file, containing, if I wish, a universe, or even multiple universes, defining a universe as something rather large. A quick dip into the literature informs me that the visible universe which I inhabit is a sphere with a radius of approximately 13.8 billion light years. Suppose I would like to model, in this file, some stars, and some galaxies, including some which are nearby, and some which are at intermediate distances, and some which are at the very limit of the observable sphere. There is actually no good reason I should have any difficulty with this. In point of fact, I have just done it, albeit at a very low resolution, or, rather, degree of specificity, but I think this illustrates one of my points, which is that a very, very, very large expanse of space can be described, at some level, by a very small amount of data.

I do find it interesting to note the vivid imagery which floats before my mind's eye when I construct a model of this sort, for it is a kind of model. One of the problems that must be solved, one way or another, is converting model data into renderings. Our minds, at least, can do it to extreme effect.